Day 2, July 19th

Start: Wanatchee, WA

Finish: Spokane, WA

Miles: 161

Elevation Gain: 6420'


Days Inn

4212 Sunset Blvd

Spokane, WA 99202


Click on an image to see a larger view

Today was tough. The weather didn't cooperate the way it had yesterday, at least for the first half of the ride. When I looked out the window at 5:10AM, the breakfast tent was bathed in beautiful warm sunrise light. By the time I got down for breakfast 20 minutes later, it had started to rain pretty hard.

Breakfast was quite nice and featured hot oatmeal and

Our bikes wait in the rain while we eat breakfast

toasted bagels with cream cheese, along with various cereals, fruit and various breakfast drinks.

We hit the road at 5:30 since we had such a long day ahead of us. The rain continued with a few breaks until we got

After the hill climbing out of Wenatchee, the road through the wheat fields is incredible straight. Les Handy is passed by a semi.

to lunch at mile 88. Seventeen miles out of town, we started a 6.5 mile climb with about 2100 feet of elevation gain. By the time I got to the top, I knew that it was going to be a long day. I was already suffering a bit from my hard ride yesterday. Shortly after the second rest stop at mile 64, I joined up with Rich Kondzielaski and Tom Rosenbauer and rode with them for much of the rest of the day. Between the three of us, we had three flat tires (mine being one of them). The wet roads made it really difficult to see glass and debris.

As we ate lunch, the rain clouds parted and the sun came out. Fortunately, it never got as hot as yesterday, but still hit the low 90's. By mile 108, when we stopped at a convenience store for more water, I was really starting to suffer. I let Rich and Tom go on ahead so I could slow my pace a bit and try to recover. At times, I really wanted to stop by the side of the road and take a nap, and if there had been ANY shade, I might have done so. Fortunately, we had a steady tail wind for most of the rest of the way, which made it easier to maintain a decent pace despite how I was feeling.

As I was relaxing at the final rest stop at mile 130, Anne Marie McSweeny and Lon Haldeman (one of our hosts) pulled up. Lon was riding his single speed bike, which limited his top speed (except on downhills) to about 21mph (a little slower than I had been riding). Lon and I rode the rest of the way into Spokane, and this slightly slower speed made all the difference.

We arrived at the motel at about 5:20PM with a total ride time of just over 9 hours. I didn't take too many photos today because of the rain and because I wanted to get to the motel as early as possible. There were still people arriving when we got done with dinner at 8:00PM.

The next two days will be easy days which will hopefully give me a chance to recover. I've also schedule a massage tomorrow afternoon which I'm very much looking forward to. I've learned my lesson that I really have to take it easy and ride slower than I normally do on long rides to save energy for the next day.

Trying to avoid getting wet at breakfast Lunch was at a pleasant covered picnic area in Almira The first order of business at at the finish is to clean our bikes